About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

12 noiembrie 2012

Literary Birthday - Richelle Mead, 12 November


Happy Birthday, Richelle Mead, born 12 November 1976


I wish I was one of those writers who could write in cool locations, like parks or coffee shops. I get distracted, though, and am never fully comfortable. My best work always comes out of my own office, at my own desk. I can put my feet up, talk to my cats, and wear pajamas. A little crazy, maybe, but it gets the books done.

I think the surge in social media is fantastic. It’s a fast way for me to spread news about books and signings, as well as try to give readers a glimpse into what an author’s life is really like.

I adore signings. Readers and writers each give something to each other.

There are no books that influence my own. I actually go out of my way to avoid reading contemporary vampire novels.

I also can’t listen to music while I write—too distracting! 

My advice is to keep with it. That sounds obvious, but a lot of people get frustrated or distracted and stop writing for a day…or days…or weeks. And then nothing gets finished. Even if it’s only a page a day, you should keep with your writing. If you truly get blocked and can’t go on with a story, then start something new. Keeping your momentum is most important.

For me, the best way to cure writer’s block is to prevent it in the first place. Whenever I stall out on a book, it’s usually because I didn’t think it through enough. So, before starting a book, I do a lot of groundwork on where the story’s going and outline extensively. If I do a good job with that, then most of my battle’s already fought. Those blocked days are still inevitable, of course, and then I find it’s best just to step away for a while.

Mead is a bestselling American fantasy author. She is known for the Georgina Kincaid series, Vampire Academy, and the Dark Swan series. A life-long reader, Richelle has always been fascinated with mythology and folklore. Her novels have been translated into more than 30 languages

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...