About me

I am a book addict. I cannot even deny it and I want no cure. Cultivating love and passion for reading

29 septembrie 2012

Happy Birthday, Miguel de Cervantes


Happy Birthday, Miguel de Cervantes, born 29 September 1547, died 23 April 1616
Miguel de Cervantes was a Spanish novelist, poet, and playwright. Don Quixote is considered to be the first modern European novel.
 Observations by Miguel de Cervantes
  1. The pen is the tongue of the mind.
  2. Translating from one language to another, unless it is from Greek and Latin, the queens of all languages, is like looking at Flemish tapestries from the wrong side, for although the figures are visible, they are covered by threads that obscure them, and cannot be seen with the smoothness and colour of the right side.
  3. It is one thing to write as poet and another to write as a historian: the poet can recount or sing about things not as they were, but as they should have been, and the historian must write about them not as they should have been, but as they were, without adding or subtracting anything from the truth
  4. The pen is the language of the soul; as the concepts that in it are generated, such will be its writings.
  5. it is better to earn a living with the crowd than a reputation with the elite, this is what would happen to my book after I had singed my eyebrows trying to keep the precepts I have mentioned and had become the tailor who wasn’t paid.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...